The original bridge was made of atomic number 26 lattice girders and opened in 1882 when four years of construction. the world was sparsely inhabited within the Eighteen Eighties additionally the} gap of the new bridge not solely helped accessibility however also provided a replacement western route to state capital via Balmain. The recent spans were re-used by suggests that of purchase by Gordon pudding and square measure still in use within the Forbes space. All that is still in situ of the initial bridge square measure the arenaceous rock abutments placed on each side of the cove concerning twenty metres (65 ft) south of this bridge. The abutment on the Drummoyne facet is listed on the authority Heritage Register.
A decision to exchange the initial bridge was created in 1939 simply before the eruption of warfare II. style work began in 1942 and construction by Hornibrook McKenzie Clarke Pty Ltd commenced in 1947. The bridge was formally opened by Hon. J.J. Cahill, MLA, Premier and Colonial financial officer of government agency on thirty July 1955.